Sunday, March 3, 2013

Current Read: Google+ for Photographers



As I continue back into the world that is photography I've decided not to just blow dust off the camera, but to actually improve my skills.  And while these skills obviously encompass the usual such as technique, lighting and post-processing, it also entails putting my work out there to be seen.

Part of this is amassing a collection of photographs worthy to be put into an online portfolio on a soon to be developed website.  The other part is spreading work through the various social media channels and engaging with other like-minded individuals.

I must admit, I have very little experience with social media; in fact, other than a very basic profile on LinkedIn, I don't have much of a web presence at all.  Certainly no Facebook or Twitter accounts.  But I decided that Google+ may be a perfect opportunity to enter into the unkown, at least for me.

I'm the type of person that likes to get his hands on as much information as possible regarding any subject that I may find even remotely interesting.  So I picked up a copy of Google+ for Photographers by +Colby Brown figuring it would be a great starting point.  I'm only about half way through but so far it hasn't disappointed.

It is not a book intended to be a 'follow me' type of recipe for social media success, but it does provide the necessary insight into the mechanics of the service (and it does it well) so that the reader can make educated decisions on how to format the specific settings to best suit their needs.  Even more so, Colby discusses building a presence dedicated to quantity over quality, and talks of the importance of social branding and consistency among posts.

The book is broken down into chapters that take you from setting up an account and getting started, to understanding circles, publishing photographs and other media and most importantly how to interact with others already using the service.

I appreciate the fact that I'm not just being told to do this or that, but rather given the necessary information to understand why I may or may not want to do this or that.  The emphasis is on defining our focus for establishing an online presence so that the most can be obtained from the service. It's a straightforward practical approach with an aim to keep us photographers from wandering aimlessly through the abyss that is the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment