Saturday, February 23, 2013

Architecture is not about Building, Photography is not about Pictures



Yes, buildings and pictures may be the end result, but we must ask ourselves to what purpose are we doing what we do?  For me, this is about the place of beginning, the place from which to start.

When I was in school I wrote that "at its very essence, architecture is not just about building; rather architecture is an intimacy developed through a multi-sensory experience of place. It provides a structured narrative and projects meaning; it engages and envelopes the body and provides a collective significance."

And I think the same holds true for photography.  I believe that it is important for photographers to understand their work beyond the inherent ocularcentric nature of the finished media.  An image should project a motive and evoke feeling and emotion; perhaps most importantly it must possess the ability to transport us to a particular setting, a destination.  

I consider the narrative of my yet to be taken photo as my starting point, taking its form as I conceptualize it in my head.  It isn't so much about what I want it to look like, but how I want it to be felt.  I think that's important. 

The image above is a remnant of the Berlin Wall taken in 2000 when I was working in the city.  I wanted to capture a slice of a larger story, one that provoked the thought of a single person caught in a moment of time standing on the wrong side of the wall.  They run their hand over the roughly textured concrete contemplating what life must be like on the other side.

It may not be the best photo, or even the most refined story, but with each new click of the shutter growth occurs.  Ultimately, I hope this helps separate my work from others; at least It's a start...  


No comments:

Post a Comment